[PlanetCCRMA] (Slightly OT) CCRMA ate my machine!!

Peter Howard pjh@coastal.net.au
Thu Mar 4 18:47:01 2004

--=-ijipFx3M6NgAyiEFeZnR

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 13:34, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > OK, not exactly true, but as it happened while playing with audio bits
> > I'm hoping someone else on the list has experienced something similar.
> >=20
> > I posted to the list a week or so ago about problems with fluidsynth
> > connecting to JACK.  With the package updates yesterday I decided to
> > update my machine (a laptop, Toshiba Satellite TE2000) to see if the
> > problem was still there.  It was.  I noticed rosegarden had updated.=20
> > Interested in just checking the version, I started it with nothing else
> > running.  The result? The sequencer crashed.  No big deal I thought.=20
> > Having checked the version (which is all I wanted to do and hadn't
> > seemed to change) I started up JACK to go back to my "real" problem.  O=
> > tried to.  Now I was getting an assertion on startup (either by qjackct=
> > or directly).  I can't tell you what it is, keep reading and you'll get
> > an idea why :(
> >=20
> > OK, reboot the machine an see if it goes away.  I don't know as now the
> > machine won't boot with any of the 4 kernels I have on the machine.=20
> > Each stops with "cannot open initial console".  And I can't get it to g=
> > any further.  Of course I can emergency boot from CD, but nothing looks
> > out of place and I don't know enough as to where to start looking.
> >=20
> > Suggestions? Pointers?
>=20
> Ouch... I'm sorry...... I've never seen this happen. All kernels??
>=20
> A bit of googling got me this:
>   http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1901
>=20
> When in the boot process do you get that message?

No.  It just says "cannot open an initial console.", then sits there.=20
No panic.

> In the thread somebody says:
>=20
> "make initrd manually after kernel image install and then run
> grub-install, that should do it."
>=20
> But I'm not sure what that would fix as I don't understand what is
> really happening.=20

Of course it may have nothing directly to do with CCRMA stuff . . . I
did some googling too, but everything that I found was related to
changing a _specific_ kernel.=20

> What other messages do you see around the "cannot open
> initial console" message?
>=20
It's just the normal startup the last message before is the "freeing
unused kernel memory" one.
=20

--=20
Peter Howard