[PlanetCCRMA] (Slightly OT) CCRMA ate my machine!!

Thu Mar 4 19:04:02 2004

> > > OK, reboot the machine an see if it goes away.  I don't know as now the
> > > machine won't boot with any of the 4 kernels I have on the machine.
> > > Each stops with "cannot open initial console".  And I can't get it to go
> > > any further.  Of course I can emergency boot from CD, but nothing looks
> > > out of place and I don't know enough as to where to start looking.
> > >
> > > Suggestions? Pointers?
> >
> > Ouch... I'm sorry...... I've never seen this happen. All kernels??
> >
> > A bit of googling got me this:
> >   http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1901
> >
> > When in the boot process do you get that message?
>
> No.  It just says "cannot open an initial console.", then sits there.
> No panic.
>
> > In the thread somebody says:
> >
> > "make initrd manually after kernel image install and then run
> > grub-install, that should do it."
> >
> > But I'm not sure what that would fix as I don't understand what is
> > really happening.
>
> Of course it may have nothing directly to do with CCRMA stuff . . . I
> did some googling too, but everything that I found was related to
> changing a _specific_ kernel.

If it is all kernels I would suspect either grub itself, or something in
/etc/fstab that has changed (or the disks or partitions so that grub is
confused).

> > What other messages do you see around the "cannot open
> > initial console" message?
> >
> It's just the normal startup the last message before is the "freeing
> unused kernel memory" one.

After that message I see usb related messages in my machine. Maybe a new
usb peripheral? (but you would have noticed that change...) I'm not even
sure if at that point /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit has already started, probably
not. You can't get to single user either, right?

-- Fernando