[PlanetCCRMA] OpenMusic 4.7.2.beta released

Thu Mar 11 09:04:02 2004

> To explain you a bit more what is happening with OpenMusic on Fedora...
>
> You can't quit using usual commands (either menu or lisp listener). The
> program hangs and the only way to terminate it is by a signal.
>
> This seems related to a threads problem. Once MidiShare is loaded,
> threads are created to handle the MidiShare callbacks. Fedora core 1
> thread library is nptl (Native POSIX Thread Library), but the CMUCL that
> is used and packaged is a binary version that has *not* been compiled
> using nptl, but the old one. I don't know if there are major
> incompatibilities between the 2, but my guess is that is the reason of
> the problem.

Thanks for the explanation! Actually the current cmucl running on FC1 is
just a very ugly hack (hopefully temporary). The only way I could make
it work at all was to use the loader program from RedHat _9_!, and use a
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 environment variable which I think turns off nptl
amongst other things. I'm actually surprised it works at all :-)

Another detail on nptl, does it make a difference to run under a redhat
kernel or the planetccrma kernel? (I have not had time to test the new
OM version). When running the Planet CCRMA kernel (which does not
include nptl support) glibc uses the old threading model...

-- Fernando