[PlanetCCRMA] Still no sound ...

Mark Knecht markknecht@comcast.net
Thu Mar 11 17:56:02 2004

One screwy thing I found with the Via driver is this undocumented (as
far as I know) 'DXS' support. If they are in some other position they
can shut off my sound completely, or can add distortion. Probably I
should report this as a bug and do something about it, but this works
*ok* for me...

Go all the way to the right in alsamixer and make sure the 4 DXS levels
are all the way up to 100. Make sure that PCM and Master are turned up
and unmuted.

Remove any .asoundrc file in your home directory. Possibly delete
.asoundstate in /etc and then reset the alsamixer levels again.

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 17:17, Bruce Elliott wrote:

> alias eth0 8139too
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
> alias eth1 8139too
>
> # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.0rc2 ---
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

This looks OK to me although I also have

##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx index=0 dxs_support=4

> Note that the previous file, which I believe I created with alsaconf
> last December, contained the same content, plus the following lines at
> the end:
>
> alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio
> post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

this was leftover OSS stuff I think. Anything 'snd' is Alsa. Anything
'sound' was OSS, I think...

<SNIP>
IT looked OK to me.

> (Hey!  What are those modules with "oss" in them?? I thought I got rid
> of oss ...)

That is 'OSS Emulation' That's OK. You probably want it.

> > 5) cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.0rc2.
> Compiled on Dec  8 2003 for kernel 2.4.23-1.ll.rh90.ccrma with
> versioned symbols.

OK, a bit old, but should work, although I got much better results with
this chip going to 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. I'm not running 1.0.3. Consider
upgrading.

> > 6) cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [V8235          ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
>                      VIA 8235 at 0xe800, irq 22

Looks OK. Try the DXS stuff and let's see what happens. IF that doesn't
fix it, let's figure out how to get you up to 1.0.3.

- Mark