[PlanetCCRMA] Still no sound ...

Mark Knecht markknecht@comcast.net
Fri Mar 12 20:00:02 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 19:29, Bruce Elliott wrote:
> Ah, ... I just assumed that you got your later alsa packages through
> Planet CCRMA.  Maybe Ferenando just hasn't yet upgraded alsa to that
> version (1.0.3).
>
> I'm still a bit confused since Synaptic seems to say that I've got
> 1.0.1, but when I  do cat /proc/asound/version, it responds with
> 1.0.0.

Hum...strange, although sometimes not all parts of Alsa changed at the
same time, so periodically you might get version number offset a bit.
Again, Synaptic should show you 6 different Alsa packages (drivers, oss,
firmware, libs, tools & utils) and each should have it's own version
number. I don't know which one /proc/asound/version states. (probably
drivers, but I don't know...)

> In the mean time, I seem to have broken things again, starting with
> Konqueror crashing for no apparent reason, and now my sounds have gone
> away again...

Yes, that's happened so many times to me under Linux that I've sort of
given up trying to make it work. Alsa itself is actually quite good, I
think, but the way it ties into applications like browsers seems very
fragile. My day-to-day machine runs Gentoo/Mozilla. I user plugger 5.0
and mplayer to *attempt* to map web file types to multimedia
applications. It works one day, breaks the next as I do upgrades. Files
get overwritten a lot. Due to this I've given up (for now) on Linux
being a good browsing platform for me. It's great for email, and there
are a few soft synths that are quite nice to use. Beyond that it takes
too much of my time to keep it all working, so I don't!  ;-)

Good luck,
Mark