[PlanetCCRMA] Still no sound ...

Bruce Elliott belliott4488@comcast.net
Fri Mar 12 20:53:01 2004

--------------070706000702060104070600

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 19:29, Bruce Elliott wrote:
>

>>I'm still a bit confused since Synaptic seems to say that I've got
>>1.0.1, but when I  do cat /proc/asound/version, it responds with
>>1.0.0.
>>

>Hum...strange, although sometimes not all parts of Alsa changed at the
>same time, so periodically you might get version number offset a bit.
>Again, Synaptic should show you 6 different Alsa packages (drivers, oss,
>firmware, libs, tools & utils) and each should have it's own version
>number. I don't know which one /proc/asound/version states. (probably
>drivers, but I don't know...)

That's good to know.  It still looked to me like all the installed
packages were 1.0.1, though.  The kernel packages for 1.0.0 were listed,
but as "available" only, not as "installed."

>>In the mean time, I seem to have broken things again, starting with
>>Konqueror crashing for no apparent reason, and now my sounds have gone
>>away again...
>>

>Yes, that's happened so many times to me under Linux that I've sort of
>given up trying to make it work. Alsa itself is actually quite good, I
>think, but the way it ties into applications like browsers seems very
>fragile. My day-to-day machine runs Gentoo/Mozilla. I user plugger 5.0
>and mplayer to *attempt* to map web file types to multimedia
>applications. It works one day, breaks the next as I do upgrades. Files
>get overwritten a lot. Due to this I've given up (for now) on Linux
>being a good browsing platform for me. It's great for email, and there
>are a few soft synths that are quite nice to use. Beyond that it takes
>too much of my time to keep it all working, so I don't!  ;-)
>
>Good luck,
>Mark

I've had very little luck with mplayer, but I'm sure it works much
better if you know more than I do about how such things work under Linux.

Unfortunately, I have similar feelings with regard to Linux.  It's got
some really nice aspects, and I really believe in the open-source
approach, but at the end of the day, I just don't think it's ready for
non-software developers to use with ease.  Too many things just don't
work if you want to use GUI-driven software.  I probably spend as much
time trying to fix things as I do actually doing something productive.
(Of course, for developers, "fixing things" is being productive.)  Most
of the time I'm just running Mozilla to browse the web, in silence and
with no multi-media to speak of.

I still have faith that it will all come together some day.
thanks,
bruce

--------------070706000702060104070600

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Mark Knecht wrote:<br>
 cite="mid1079150346.2934.10.camel@marksmusic.myvnc.com">
  <pre wrap="">On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 19:29, Bruce Elliott wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I'm still a bit confused since Synaptic seems to say that I've got
  <pre wrap=""><!---->Hum...strange, although sometimes not all parts of Alsa changed at the
same time, so periodically you might get version number offset a bit.
Again, Synaptic should show you 6 different Alsa packages (drivers, oss,
firmware, libs, tools &amp; utils) and each should have it's own version
number. I don't know which one /proc/asound/version states. (probably
drivers, but I don't know...)
  </pre>
That's good to know.&nbsp; It still looked to me like all the installed
packages were 1.0.1, though.&nbsp; The kernel packages for 1.0.0 were
listed, but as "available" only, not as "installed."<br>
 cite="mid1079150346.2934.10.camel@marksmusic.myvnc.com">
    <pre wrap="">In the mean time, I seem to have broken things again, starting with
  <pre wrap=""><!---->Yes, that's happened so many times to me under Linux that I've sort of
given up trying to make it work. Alsa itself is actually quite good, I
think, but the way it ties into applications like browsers seems very
fragile. My day-to-day machine runs Gentoo/Mozilla. I user plugger 5.0
and mplayer to *attempt* to map web file types to multimedia
applications. It works one day, breaks the next as I do upgrades. Files
get overwritten a lot. Due to this I've given up (for now) on Linux
being a good browsing platform for me. It's great for email, and there
are a few soft synths that are quite nice to use. Beyond that it takes
too much of my time to keep it all working, so I don't!  ;-)

Good luck,
Mark
  </pre>
I've had very little luck with mplayer, but I'm sure it works much
better if you know more than I do about how such things work under
Linux.<br>
Unfortunately, I have similar feelings with regard to Linux.&nbsp; It's got
some really nice aspects, and I really believe in the open-source
approach, but at the end of the day, I just don't think it's ready for
non-software developers to use with ease.&nbsp; Too many things just don't
work if you want to use GUI-driven software.&nbsp; I probably spend as much
time trying to fix things as I do actually doing something productive.&nbsp;
(Of course, for developers, "fixing things" is being productive.)&nbsp; Most
of the time I'm just running Mozilla to browse the web, in silence and
with no multi-media to speak of.&nbsp; <br>
I still have faith that it will all come together some day.<br>
thanks,<br>
bruce<br>

--------------070706000702060104070600--