[PlanetCCRMA] managing mulitple repositories

Bruce Elliott belliott4488@comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 19:15:03 2004

It sounds like I should do what you did, but there are still a few
things (okay, more than a few) that I don't understand.  (Questions
embedded below.)

Lawrie Abbott wrote:

> Bruce Elliott wrote:
>
>> I have removed the later version of apt that I'd gotten from the
>> kde-redhat repository, and reinstalled the one from Planet CCRMA.
>> Before I attempt to do any more apt-get updates, however, I'd like to
>> understand how apt works a little better so that I can avoid shooting
>> off my other foot this time.
>
> First let me tell you that I'm not  an apt guru ... just letting you
> know what Ive found by the trial and error method :)
>
>> I currently have the Planet CCRMA sources.list and apt.conf in my
>> /etc/apt/ directory, but there is also kde-redhat.list in the
>> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/  directory.  How does apt decide which one
>> to use?  Should I also have a similar "ccrma.list" file in this
>> directory, and if so, should there still be a sources.list in the
>> parent directory (/etc/apt/)?
>>
>> What about the apt.conf file?  I have an apt.conf.d directory, but it
>> has nothing in it.  Can apt work with separate apt.conf files for
>> different packages from different repositories?
>
> Apt can use both the apt/sources.list and
> apt/source.list.d/sources.list files. I dont know what happens if
> there are double ups or conflicts. To be safe... dont have any. My
> apt/sources.list   and apt/vendors.list files are  basically blank.
> And the information is in  separate files in the .d directories.  For
> apt.conf the settings  in the  apt/apt.conf override those in
> apt/apt.conf.d/apt.conf.  My guess  is the behaviour is similar for
> sources and vendors.

How do I know whether there are conflicts or even just redundancies in
the sources.list files?  In the planet ccrma list, for e.g., I see
components like, "os updates", "planetccrma", and "planetcore".  How do
I know which packages are associated with these entries?  (For
kde-redhat, the only component name seems to be "stable" ...)

>> All I'm really trying to ensure is that apt can upgrade any packages
>> that come from only one repository, but also that it will use the
>> Planet CCRMA repository for packages that are available from either
>> one.  (This seems safer, since the newer apt, from kde-redhat, didn't
>> like the unsigned packages from P. CCRMA.)
>
> What I have done is to use the new apt from kde-rehat and install the
> repo- config files ie
> repo-config-fedora-1.2-0.fdr.2.rh90
> repo-config-kde-redhat-1.4-0.fdr.0.rh90
> repo-config-freshrpms-1.4-0.fdr.0.rh90

What are these and where should I find them?  I don't recognize them.
They're not in my kde-redhat.list file.

> (first backup existing lists.confs etc)

I don't think I have anything called lists.confs ...

> then copy the ccrma sources.list to apt/sources.list.d/ccrma.list

I can do that ...

> and copy the  the default.conf in /apt/apt.conf.d/ to
> /apt/apt.conf.d/ccrma.conf

hmmm ... my apt.con.d directory is *empty* right now (!??)

> and  then uncomment the 'Ignore { "gpg-pubkey"; ' line.
>
> This gives access to   fedora kde-redhat freshrpms and ccrma. To
> update only from one repository either use the
> preferences/repositories settings in synaptic or hide the sources.list
> (s) that you dont want to use.
>
> <other stuff snipped>

[Note: this thread slipped off the Planet CCRMA list by accident, so I'm
cc:ing it again, in the hopes that it might help some others.  If it's
too far off-topic for this list, just let me know.]

thanks, - Bruce