[PlanetCCRMA] omlinux: line 41; 3980 Segmentation fault...

Wed Mar 24 17:28:02 2004

Hi Wes, thanks for the tips!

> I've been running FC2test/rawhide lately, so I've got Planet CCRMA removed
> at the moment, but some random thoughts on segfaults and *CL borking:
>
> This post explains some of the problems with executable stack code (with
> explicit mention of Lisp interpreters) on Fedora, and possible fixes:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-November/msg00838.html

I had problems originally with Clisp (had to resort to packaging CVS) as
well but the latest version works fine.

> Also, I notice umb-scheme is in FC2...  not sure if it's in FC1, and I know
> Scheme != Lisp, but they're very closely related...  has anyone tried to
> make CM* work on umb-scheme?

CM works in scheme, don't know if it does in that particular flavor. CLM
has a version that works inside Snd using Guile (another flavor of
Scheme). I don't think CMN works outside of Common Lisp. Open Music for
linux needs Common Lisp, and in particular, CMUCL only.

> Also, if you're having segfaults related to loading libraries (as
> determined in gdb), you might try explicitly running your local ld.so to
> load it...  for example, instead of just "/usr/bin/lisp" try
> "/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /usr/bin/lisp".  Yes, I know it looks weird, running a
> library, but with ELF all things are possible ;-)  The deal is apparently
> that normally running the executable invokes the dynamic loader code built
> into the executable, which may not be fully compatible with your glibc
> (like if it was built on a different distro/release).  See also the ld.so
> manpage.

I'll be darned! It seems to work. Sometimes.
:-)
Not very consistent, which is surprising. It segfaults randomly at
startup. And that's not the end, I was having the problem only under
kernel 2.6.4 (others in the list had problems under 2.4.x but I have not
managed to reproduce that). So, that trick got it started under 2.6. I
managed to compile a CLM instrument - but it will not run correctly, I
get a "Type-error in KERNEL" error. Sigh. Well, worth trying for the
others that were having problems. Start cm like this (with the "-2"
release of cmucl, the latest):

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /usr/bin/lisp -load "/usr/lib/cmucl/lib/cm/cm-load"
-eval "(cm::cm-init)"

Let me know how it goes...
-- Fernando