[PlanetCCRMA] nvidia and kernel source?

Juan Reyes juanig@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Mar 24 18:00:03 2004

Hi Aaron,

Once you have your kernel sources go to the Nvidia website
http://www.nvidia.com/linux  and you should get a Linux drivers download
page. Just follow their instructions and make sure you understand their
README. Once downloaded you need to stop X by issuing a "telinit 3"
command. Make sure you are running your kernel of choice that matches
the kernel sources downloaded from planetCCRMA. Uncompress the nvidia
binary if it is tarred or zipped and then just run the binary in a
shell. (In the bash shell you should issue something like):
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

Follow the dialog - the driver probably needs to be compiled.

After installation is successful you should edit the
/etc/X11/XF86Config file (Make sure you have a backup copy). The Nvidia
documentation has examples on how to configure this file.

Once the XF86Config file is customized, you can start X over again and
test your Nvidia configuration. You can go back to the XF86Config file
and adjust it until you get your desired settings but make sure you stop
and restart X after each change.

  --* Juan

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 17:33, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > I am finally getting around to installing drivers for my geforce.
> >
> > I tried to download kernel sources for fedora core but from the site
> > couldn't figure out what its name was.
>
> Try this:
>   apt-get install kernel-source
> This will list what is available. Choose the option that matches your
> kernel and install that, as i:
>   apt-get install kernel-source#KERNEL_VERSION
>
> > I also thought I saw nvida driver rpms with apt-cache search but
> > couldn't figure out which one to use and or if they were from
Planet's