[PlanetCCRMA] Problems with Redhat kernel

Laurel Ann Murphy annieirishpianist147@eudoramail.com
Sat Mar 27 23:32:02 2004

Hi.  I just installed the Redhat kernel with low-latency patch, kernel version 2.4.24-2.2140.rhfc1.caps. I'm experiencing problems with it.  The same problems occur with the newest kernel avaliable for Fedora Core and the Planet CCRMA kernel version 2.2.24-1.11.rhfc1.ccrma, but not with the original kernel, version 2.24.2-2.2061.nptl.  The errors I'm getting follow.

hda:  dma-timer expiry - dma status==0x61
hda:  dma-timer expiry - dma status =0x61
hda error waiting for DMA
hda timeout retry:  status=0xd0 (Busy)

ide0:  reset:  success

The computer freezes when this message appears on  the console.  I have this same problem with the Fedora Core kernel 2.4.24-2.2174.nptl.  Even if the computer stops freezing after a while, fsck needs run manually after every boot or reboot.  It needs run even if I have shut down cleanly.  I've never experienced this problem with Redhat 8 or 9.  I do know that it has something to do with the hard drive.  Is there any way to correct this problem?

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com