[PlanetCCRMA] Problems with Redhat kernel

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 00:34:01 2004

Take what I say with a grain of salt. My guess is that
something in the new kernel is telling hda to perform
with set of specs that it's not capable of.

I suppose you'll need to gather the specs for the
disk, read up on the hdparm program and figure out
where RH is telling the disk to do X.

My hda (ide) is reporting "hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
DriveStatusError BadCRC }" which I believe means it's
being told to transfer data at a rate that it's not
capable of doing. In my case, ide resets to lower
rates until the drive passes the test. So, I just
leave the damned thing to error because once the
correct parameter is met it is retained until a
reboot. The error only occurs during boot because
that's when the rate is set. I could probably find the
correct drive specs and pass them to the kernel from
grub or a RH config file but...I'm a bad person.

I know my example isn't exactly what you are seeing
but it might be indicative of something. Here's my
theory; when we don't have the answer, we should
immediately pack our brains full of as much unrelated
information as possible. While this causes confusion
it also excersizes the brain and makes it stronger.
When the brain is stronger we solve our problems with
greater ease and effiecency. If you know what I mean,
let me know. It'll make two of us.

ron

--- Laurel Ann Murphy