[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 feedback

Lionel Chilaud lionelchilaud@yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 17:10:01 2004

Hello.

I have tested the "experimental" FC2 packages.
Overall I found installation is very smooth (to the
light of previous experience)

I have: P4 2.8GHz-MSI865Neo with onboard audio.
I also have an external Sound Blaster Live platinum.

Soundcards:
hw:0 - SBLive 5.1 Platinum (snd-emu10k1)
hw:1 - On Board CMI codec 97' (snd-intel8x0)

I recompiled the 2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma kernel
because I need ntfs...
Q: Is there any other parts I need to rebuild (like
alsa kernel modules ???) Or is it included in the
/usr/src/2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma source tree
already ?

Using the stock kernel (from planet ccrma), I had an
issue with jackstart reporting no kernel real time
capabilities but jackd starting OK. Now with my custom
kernel, both jackd and jackstart work, qjackctl too.

Currently I still have the following issue:
Non root user unable to start jackd/jackstart.
With realcap loaded (at boot time) (installed realcap
script in init.d as you suggested)

[root@monstruo -lin_O_m]# lsmod | grep realcap
realcap                 4496  0
commoncap               4864  1 realcap
[invitado@monstruo invitado]$ jackstart --verbose -d
alsa
back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
getting driver descriptor from
/usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
getting driver descriptor from
/usr/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
getting driver descriptor from
/usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to
redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for
details

registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
capabilities: =
cap_setpcap,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource+eip
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x9145868 fd =
-1
creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback.
Falling back to capture-only mode
cannot load driver module alsa

I also have an issue with xmms and playing files
encoded at 44.1MHz with jack plugin. If I run jackd at
default rate of 48MHz then xmms and try to play file
encoded at 44.1, jack complains about xmms asking for
44.1MHz and jack running at 48. If I start hw:0 with
option -r 44100 (SB Live) then it does 44.1MHz.. But
the hw:1 (C-Media chipset) only does 48MHz even when
asked for 44.1MHz.  The hw:1 (C-Media chipset) will
only play files if original encoding was 48MHz

[root@monstruo -lin_O_m]# jackstart -R -d alsa -r
44100 -d hw:1
back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to
redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for
details

apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ...
hw:1|hw:1|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:1
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer
= 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:1 for 32bit samples trying 24bit
instead
Couldn't open hw:1 for 24bit samples trying 16bit
instead
sample rate in use (48000 Hz) does not match requested
rate (44100 Hz)

Apart from that it's cool. I could play one track
using jack and xmms in hw:0 sound card while using
alsaplayer to play to hw:1 at the same time. System is
very stable.

Well I think that's all for now. I found the whole
process much less difficult than with the older 2.4.2x
especially regarding real time support and patching
the kernel. It took me a few days of efforts to get
the kernel patched and jack working with the RH9 serie
. Here all is much more straightforward. Or maybe it's
just that I know a bit more what I'm doing ???

I don't know too much about the planet apps themselves
because I'm mainly interested in listening music, but
I really like what you do, if I can help you in
anything just let me know. Thanks.

Lionel.