[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 feedback

Fri Oct 1 17:49:01 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 17:09, Lionel Chilaud wrote:
> Hello.

Hi and thanks for the feedback!

> I have tested the "experimental" FC2 packages.
> Overall I found installation is very smooth (to the
> light of previous experience)
>
> I have: P4 2.8GHz-MSI865Neo with onboard audio.
> I also have an external Sound Blaster Live platinum.
>
> Soundcards:
> hw:0 - SBLive 5.1 Platinum (snd-emu10k1)
> hw:1 - On Board CMI codec 97' (snd-intel8x0)
>
> I recompiled the 2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma kernel
> because I need ntfs...
> Q: Is there any other parts I need to rebuild (like
> alsa kernel modules ???) Or is it included in the
> /usr/src/2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma source tree
> already ?

Alsa is already included in the stock 2.6.x kernel, I usually supply
newer packages separately (which you would have to rebuild if you needed
a newer version of alsa). FYI, the newer experimental kernels for FC2
come with ntfs (read only) enabled.

> Using the stock kernel (from planet ccrma), I had an
> issue with jackstart reporting no kernel real time
> capabilities but jackd starting OK. Now with my custom
> kernel, both jackd and jackstart work, qjackctl too.
>
> Currently I still have the following issue:
> Non root user unable to start jackd/jackstart.
> With realcap loaded (at boot time) (installed realcap
> script in init.d as you suggested)

With the "allcaps=1" option? Just making sure...

> [root@monstruo -lin_O_m]# lsmod | grep realcap
> realcap                 4496  0
> commoncap               4864  1 realcap
> [invitado@monstruo invitado]$ jackstart --verbose -d
> alsa
> back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
> getting driver descriptor from
> /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
> getting driver descriptor from
> /usr/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
> getting driver descriptor from
> /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
> jackd 0.99.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> This is free software, and you are welcome to
> redistribute it
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for
> details
>
> registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
> capabilities: =
> cap_setpcap,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource+eip
> new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x9145868 fd =
> -1
> creating alsa driver ...
> hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback.
> Falling back to capture-only mode
> cannot load driver module alsa

For some reason ALSA cannot open the playback device with the parameters
you chose (but opens the capture direction!). This should not be related
to realcap and/or running realtime (you are not using the '-R' option
anyway). Maybe some other process has alsa open for playback, check the
sound daemon for the desktop you use and make sure it is off.

Try:
jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw
to see if you can run realtime.

> I also have an issue with xmms and playing files
> encoded at 44.1MHz with jack plugin. If I run jackd at
> default rate of 48MHz then xmms and try to play file
> encoded at 44.1, jack complains about xmms asking for
> 44.1MHz and jack running at 48. If I start hw:0 with
> option -r 44100 (SB Live) then it does 44.1MHz.. But
> the hw:1 (C-Media chipset) only does 48MHz even when
> asked for 44.1MHz.  The hw:1 (C-Media chipset) will
> only play files if original encoding was 48MHz

Jack will not do sample rate conversion for you. I seem to remember that
the latest version of the xmms jack plugin could do that but maybe I'm
confused with some other program.

My laptop also has the same problem, hardware that can only run at
48KHz.

-- Fernando