[PlanetCCRMA] Syncing Ardour and Rosegarden

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Sun Oct 3 15:31:01 2004

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:43:55 +0100, flump00@breathe.com
<flump00@breathe.com> wrote:
> Hi there! I use Ardour to record audio, and use rosegarden to control
> various software synthesisers (responding to MIDI events). I attach the
> outputs of these synthesisers to ardour tracks also, so I can record them as
> audio, then mess around with them as I please (plugins, moving them around
> etc.).
> What I was wondering was if there was any sort of tool that any of you use
> for syncing the starting of playback of rosegarden with the
> playback/recording of ardour? Is there any way that I can start both at the
> same time using some nifty tool?
>
> Cheers!
> Rich

It sort of works now if you're up to date with recent releases. you
must set up Ardour to be a JAck Transport master (See it's options) as
well as telling it to Sync to JAck. (from memory)

In Rosegarden you have to tell the sequencer to sync to Jack also.
Look in it's options.

To start and stop you have to use Ardour.

Note: Tempo changes, different meters, and everything else interesting
on both sides is ignored, so you are responsible for setting this up
in your song if it makes a difference.

Also, not that time in Rosegarden, QJackCtl and Ardour will not match
will you are doing this. There are bugs which no one has attempted to
solve as far as I can tell.

I have managed to use this a bit with Ardour recording drums from
Native Instrument's Battery running un jack_vst. It worked. It's very
rudimentary though.

If you want to go look for more detailed instructions that a couple of
other people were able to make work, I wrote this up in the Rosegarden
User list a couple of weeks about. I'm sure it's in the archives
somewhere.

good luck,
Mark