[PlanetCCRMA] looking for a mainboard for dual athlon

Patrick - DJUnderground.com pm@djunderground.com
Fri Oct 8 22:05:01 2004

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/build1.pdf - Always good reads
by ComputerMusic

I just did a search on Google, because I remember hearing a while back
about staying away from VIA chipsets.  I'm not sure if they still make
VIA chipsets, but it is worth a mention.

My advice is to find a solid motherboard that doesn't have all that
extra crap, such as onboard sound, video, and LAN.  It's great to have
all those extra slots available in your case, but sometimes they are
more hassle than anything in linux.  Get a 3Com 3c509 network card
(unless wireless is your forte), a solid AGP 8x video card w/ a min of
128mb ram, and the audio gear is completely up to you.

Oh yeah, don't forget the 1024mb DDR 400 RAM :)

Good luck with your search.  Remember - online is always cheaper :)

- Patrick