[PlanetCCRMA] Hammerfall HDSP 9652 Configuration Issues

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Wed Oct 13 09:59:01 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:26:56 +0200, Sebastian Doeweling
<lists@inshadows.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as a starting point for my diploma thesis I'm trying to configure a
> Hammerfall HDSP 9652 Soundcard.

Proper accomplishment of this taks is worth a Master's degree! ;-)

> Yet I don't have to much knowledge about
>   professional audio.
> I sticked to what I found on google and here on Planet CCRMA for
> configuration and some things worked out fine. Still I have some issues
> I cannot resolve.
> For example alsamixer still shows "no mixer elements". I experimented a
> bit with "jack" and there too I have some things not working as I
> expected. For example jack comes up fine, if I have a sample rate below
> 48,100 Hz, but doesn't start if I go higher.

The HDSP driver purposely does not export the controls alsamixer wants to see:

1) Use hdspmixer instead. Proper use of hdspmixer is the first step to
your Doctorial degree. ;-)

2) Use hdspconf to view HDSP 9652 card status and to change
frequencies, to some extent. I wrote an email about this on some list
over the weekend. (Possibly PlanetCCRMA, but I do not remember. There
appears to be a bug in the HDSP driver that won't allow JAck to switch
the card between the 1x rates and the 2X rates.

a) Use hdspconf and set the card to either 32K, 44.1K or 48K. Using
Jack change the card's frequency. You can only change between 32K,
44.1K or 48K. you cannot change to 64K, 88.2K or 96K.

b) Using hdspconf set the card to a 2X rate. Using Jack change between
the 3 2x rates, which works. Using Jack, attempt to change to a 1X
rate. It doesn't work.

Also, please remember that the RME cards only work with a setting on
-n2. Apparently the HDSP 9652 driver will not allow a value below
-p64, where as my ATI sound chip will.

Good luck with your thesis!

- Mark