[PlanetCCRMA] Hammerfall HDSP 9652 Configuration Issues

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Wed Oct 13 13:15:01 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:13:39 -0400, Matt Barber <brbrofsvl@aol.com> wrote:
> ->
>

> as a starting point for my diploma thesis I'm trying to configure a
> Hammerfall HDSP 9652 Soundcard. Yet I don't have to much knowledge about
>   professional audio.
> I sticked to what I found on google and here on Planet CCRMA for
> configuration and some things worked out fine. Still I have some issues
> I cannot resolve.
> For example alsamixer still shows "no mixer elements". I experimented a
> bit with "jack" and there too I have some things not working as I
> expected. For example jack comes up fine, if I have a sample rate below
> 48,100 Hz, but doesn't start if I go higher.
>
> I append a bunch of data which I hope will be useful. Maybe someone has
> got an idea where I'm doing wrong.
>
> Best,
> Sebastian
> <-
>
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> As Mark Knecht has said, use hdspconf to change between the 1x and 2x
> speeds (and hdspmixer is a great joy - learn it and love it).  I have
> had a similar question - it appears that no application can switch the
> card from single to double speed, which seems quite nuts to me.  Does
> anyone know if there are plans to change this (it's annoying to have to
> open hdspconf or script with amixer to do this)...

Well, logically, since hdspconf is an application at least one app can
switch speeds. I'm very sure from working with Thomas on this driver
more than a year ago that at that time Jack could change it from 1X to
2X and back again, but possibly I'm mistaken. My thought is that this
is an oversight in the current versions of JAck or the current
versions of the driver. Submitting a bug report at the Alsa site would
likely get it addressed. I'm about a week away from caring and figured
I'd do it by then if I wasn't proven wrong about the limitation. I
know see that I was not. Thanks for the info!

> Also, I have had trouble using the alsa settings on some apps with hdsp,
> as it appears some of them rely on the alsamixer elements that are so
> notoriously absent from the RME totalmix cards.  These programs include
> xine, for instance, where I have to use the OSS interface to get sound.

Humm, well again, maybe something has crept in. Slightly before I had
my very public 'I'll never use this damn card under Linux again' fit
;-) I was using the card somehow with xine. I was playing DVDs and
getting 5.1 to show up using playback_1-6. It's fun to mix your own 6
channel sound scenes using xine and this card. It does work, or did at
one time. ;-) I wrtoe the xine-users lists on a number of htese
questions and got good answers that helped me get ther. It wasn't
easy. In fact, it was beyond PHd for a guy like me... ;-)

> Not a disaster, obviously, but it would be nice to interface directly
> with alsa....  This has changed from some of the earliest incarnations
> of the hdsp drivers - I remember there being alsamixer support and
> hdspmixer in the earlier versions of the drivers.

Yes, Thomas decided to take them out. He asked me. I agreed. Possibly
we didn't get enough public feedback, but as I remember he said there
were som real limitations to using alsamixer (as I'm sure you would
agree) and we both thought that any serious owner of an HDSP 9652
would want to use hdspmixer.

My bad though maybe...