[PlanetCCRMA] Warning - Wine RPM seems to have broken Alsa

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Thu Oct 14 05:50:02 2004

Hi,
   Just a warning to others. I'm running an FC2/Planetedge/custom
kernel config that was working fine for the last week or so. Yesterday
I installed the Wine-20040914 RPM for FC2 supplied through WineHQ. The
install was clean. Wine works. Alsa no longer does.

   Possibly it's my bad something, but I don't know what yet. I also
am not sure about how to fix things. Reinstall my custom kernel? I
found the Wine RPM was starting a Wine service at boot time. Building
Wine from source doesn't do this.

   I know Fernando isn't overly interested in working with Windows
programs, but with the interest in running VSTs, and with jack_vst
getting better, I think more people may run into this sort of problem.
It would be good to possibly have some instructions on the Planet
about how to get it installed and not break things, etc. Maybe Planet
users can share their experiences and we could get that online
somewhere? Planet WIKI maybe?

Cheers,
Mark