[PlanetCCRMA] audigy2 and cmedia - no sound no midi

michel access michelaccess@yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 16 17:31:02 2004

hi there all - just took the plunge last week with
linux for the first time - first installed mandrake -
had many problems and as noobie couldnt figure out
head and tail than came across the ccrma site and the
installation pages with the step by step detailed
decriptions won me over so createted another partition
and installed fc1. Up to here everything ok (i think -
didnt check sound as continued imidiatly with the
ccrma instalation) - than upgraded the kernel and
booted into the ccrma kernel - all works - than came
alsa and ruined my weekend...
after many searched and editing various files i've
ended up with the following
modules.conf -

alias eth0 8139too
alias char-major-81 bttv
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.4 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias snd-card-1 snd-cmipci
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=2 device_mode=0666
device_gid=0 device_uid=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
options snd-cmipci index=1
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
#--- Keep modules from being autocleaned
add options -k snd-card-0
add options -k snd-card-1
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

-----------------# cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.4 emulation
code)
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain
2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma #1 Sat Apr 17 21:19:40 PDT
2004 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
Sound Blaster Audigy2 (rev.4) at 0x9400, irq 10
C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 (model 55) at 0xb800, irq 11

Audio devices:
0: EMU10K1 (DUPLEX)
1: C-Media PCI DAC/ADC (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices:
0: Audigy MPU-401 (UART)
1: MPU-401 MIDI 1-0

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: SigmaTel STAC9721/23
1: CMedia PCI

Q1 - Does 'synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG'
sounds right? where is the synth of the audigy? or the
onboard cmedia?

Q2 - Where does the SigmaTel turned out from? never
heard of it as part of the audigy2 chipset...

than after /sbin/chkconfig --add alsasound
on /sbin/chkconfig --list alsasound
i get:
alsasound       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on
 5:on    6:off

Q3 are they supposed to be off?

state after all this - no sound from both cards, kmid
(the only programme i can figure out to check my midi
input) dont show anything in midi devices and in the
volume control mixer i have a tab for cmedia and one
for sigmatel but no emu10k1...

can anyone help with shedding some light on my missing
audio? and if possible in very simple terms...:)

cheers
michel