[PlanetCCRMA] module load - unresolved symbols?

Sun Oct 17 16:29:02 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 15:46, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2004 15:04:16 -0700
> Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> > If hyperthreading is enabled then you are probably running an smp kernel
> > (do uname -r to see what you are booting into) after all.
>
> xtc:~% uname -r
> 2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma

So you are running a single processor kernel.

> > HT uses spare
> > cycles in the P4 processor to run two "processors" in parallel,
> > depending on what software you run you can have from 0% to 15-20% more
> > performance.
>
> Hmmm, that's what I get for not paying attention to the hardware front!
> So I'm guessing my choices here are
>   1) turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS or
>   2) install the smp version of the kernel.

or:
3) just keep using the up kernel. It is _not_ necessary to use the smp
kernel (just as you can boot a up kernel in a real smp machine). I have
no experience with the nvidia driver but it somehow looks like it is
expecting something to be smp?

I imagine the nvidia driver needs the kernel-source package to be
installed, do you have the one that corresponds to the kernel you are
running?

-- Fernando