[PlanetCCRMA] module load - unresolved symbols?

Joe Hartley jh@brainiac.com
Sun Oct 17 16:58:02 2004

On 17 Oct 2004 16:28:36 -0700
Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> > xtc:~% uname -r
> > 2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma
>
> So you are running a single processor kernel.

Yes I am.  Just for fun, I looked in the BIOS, and hyperthreading was
enabled, so I installed the smb kernel, but at boot time, I saw an error
along the lines of "BIOS error, hyperthreading disabled, contact your hw
vendor".  Well, screw that!!  I turned HT off in the BIOS and went back
to the up kernel.

> 3) just keep using the up kernel. It is _not_ necessary to use the smp
> kernel (just as you can boot a up kernel in a real smp machine). I have
> no experience with the nvidia driver but it somehow looks like it is
> expecting something to be smp?

That's what it seems like to me.  I'm not sure why, or how to turn it off
yet, though.

> I imagine the nvidia driver needs the kernel-source package to be
> installed, do you have the one that corresponds to the kernel you are
> running?

I do, and I have both /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/linux-2.4 linked
to it.  I've installed the nvidia drivers at least a half-dozen times,
it used to work.  Something's forcing the smb mode, though.  Looking
at the module compilations, I can't see any obvious SMP setting:

Example:
   cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wp
   arentheses -Wpointer-arith  -Wno-multichar  -Werror -O -fno-common -UDEBUG -
   U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_G
   NU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE  -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1
   -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=6111  -DNV_UNIX   -DNV_LINUX   -DNV_INT
   64_OK   -DNVCPU_X86
        -DREMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4 -DNV_CHANGE_PAGE_ATTR_PRESENT  -I. -I/lib/modules/
   2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma/build/include -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error os-interface.

I may just need to rebuild the kernel for the P4, time to read some docs.
At least this isn't rendering the machine unusable!