[PlanetCCRMA] Tuning Qsynth or fluidsynth

Andrew Wilson djazz@myrealbox.com
Tue Oct 19 18:10:01 2004

--=-AziPCB8B+gtInwYoeaR9

When I say "stuck", what I actually meant is that the jackd will only
load at 44100, it will not load at 48k.  I haven't really had a close
look but I assumed it was because jack had determined somehow that the
card wasn't capable of more.

I had configured Qsynth to run at 48k and the result was 1 tone too
high.  As soon as everything in the chain is at 44100 everything is at
concert pitch and I can play along with other instruments.

Now that you point it out, it doesn't really make sense as qsynth is
producing 48k samples to be played at 44100.  Something in the chain is
obviously making a correction or I would eventually be getting
synchronisation problems with the qsynth sounds gradually falling behind
as the extra samples have to be played.  But this doesn't happen (and
I'm not complaining).

Curious.

/Andrew

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 22:38, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:01:48 +0800, Andrew Wilson <djazz@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> >  Rui and Mark,
> >
> >  Thanks for the advice.  It was indeed a mismatch between the card and the
> > jack/qsynth/fluidsynth rate.
> >
> >  It turns out that with my card I am stuck at 44100k so I will need to make
> > sure that everything is at 44100.
> >
> >  Cheers,
> >  Andrew
> >

> Are you stuck at 44100? Or stuck at 48000?
>
> 1) If you have 44100 samples, and play them at 44100 - no problem
> 2) If you have 48000 samples and play them at 48000 - no problem
> 3) If you have 44100 samples, but are stuck at 48000 - 1 note high
> 4) If you have 48000 samples, but play them at 44100 - 1 note low
>
> I thought you said your notes played high?
>
> - Mark

--=-AziPCB8B+gtInwYoeaR9

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
When I say &quot;stuck&quot;, what I actually meant is that the jackd will only load at 44100, it will not load at 48k.&nbsp; I haven't really had a close look but I assumed it was because jack had determined somehow that the card wasn't capable of more.<BR>
<BR>
I had configured Qsynth to run at 48k and the result was 1 tone too high.&nbsp; As soon as everything in the chain is at 44100 everything is at concert pitch and I can play along with other instruments. <BR>
<BR>
Now that you point it out, it doesn't really make sense as qsynth is producing 48k samples to be played at 44100.&nbsp; Something in the chain is obviously making a correction or I would eventually be getting synchronisation problems with the qsynth sounds gradually falling behind as the extra samples have to be played.&nbsp; But this doesn't happen (and I'm not complaining).<BR>
<BR>
Curious.<BR>
<BR>
/Andrew<BR>
<BR>
&gt;  Thanks for the advice.  It was indeed a mismatch between the card and the
&gt; jack/qsynth/fluidsynth rate.
&gt;
&gt;  It turns out that with my card I am stuck at 44100k so I will need to make
&gt; sure that everything is at 44100.
&gt;
&gt;  Cheers,
&gt;  Andrew
&gt;

Are you stuck at 44100? Or stuck at 48000?

1) If you have 44100 samples, and play them at 44100 - no problem
2) If you have 48000 samples and play them at 48000 - no problem
3) If you have 44100 samples, but are stuck at 48000 - 1 note high
4) If you have 48000 samples, but play them at 44100 - 1 note low

I thought you said your notes played high?

- Mark
</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>