[PlanetCCRMA] wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel

Fri Apr 8 10:30:01 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 08:50, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> >On Apr 8, 2005 5:59 AM, Shayne O'Connor <forums@machinehasnoagenda.com> wrote:
> >>dear lord, i've just gone around in a circle and made it back to this
> >>original post :(
> >
> >That's terrible! Very sorry!
> >
> >>how do i go about going back to the 1.08 alsa driver on FC3?
> >
> >Do oyu not still have the older kernels installed? Look in
> >/boot/grub/grub.conf and post back what's there if you have any
> >questions about it. If you had 1.08 running at some time then most
> >likely it's still installed.
> >
> >On the other hand if you never had them installed then I'd pull up
> >synaptic and do a search on 'kernel-modules-alsa'. From there it's
> >pretty straight forward to tell what is currently on the system,
> >what's currently in the repository, and you can do an install of an
> >older kernel that matches the Alsa version you're interested in. On my
> >FC2 system here it looks like 1.08 is aligned with a 2.6.10 kernel.
> >It's probably the same for you.
> >
> >Install the kernel, kernel-modules-alsa, reboot choosing the kernel
> >and see if it works better. If it does change grub.conf to ensure it
> >boots the next time.
>
> cool - did this, getting the 2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma kernel, which
> brought in the 1.08 alsa module. thanx!
>
> a question, though - does it matter that the alsa-driver/alsa-lib etc
> packages are still the 1.09 ones? cos if i select to downgrade to the
> 1.08 versions of those packages, that's when synaptic wants to start
> wholesale uninstalling ...

I should be fine, I have not heard of any incompatibilities at this
point between close versions of alsa (in the protocol between the kernel
modules and the rest). But of course I have not tried it so I don't
really know :-)

-- Fernando