[PlanetCCRMA] New PC - Athlon 64

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 05:48:02 2005

Hi Jan,
   I'm running a 64-bit Gentoo version on my AMD64 machine. It works
fine with all audio apps that I've tried but the machine is not
without it's problems:

1) Even with the newest Ingo kernels I am not xrun free using my HDSP
9652. This card was rock solid in my old Via-based 32-bit Athlon but
not so at the lowest latency settings in my NVidia 64-bit. Note that
the machine is very usable with higher latency settings. (256/2 or
higher)

2) You may run into issues with web browsing. Flash does not work at
on 64-bit yet. The work around for this is to run a 32-bit binary
version of Firefox with a 32-bit of Flash. This works fine. (Remember
to install all 32-bit emulation libraries.) However in this
environment Java doesn't work. If you want Java && Flash then some
folks are building ful 32-bit chrooted environments on the same
machine and running Firefox in there. Way too much work for me! I
currently run both version fo Firefox and use the one I need based on
Java vs. Flash requirements.

   I suspect that your problems will be minor and you'll be happy.

Cheers,
Mark