[PlanetCCRMA] /etc/fstab options and wierdness

Benjamin Hardy drycellbattery@yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 15 04:13:01 2005

I know, I should search more thoroughly on this, I'm sure there is
something on setting HD settings in the fstab file, but I can't remember
where.

Anyways, I want to use the noatime option on my partitions as I've heard
it helps with performance.

here's my fstab file: (i adjusted the spacing for easy viewing)
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/      /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot  /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/devpts  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/shm     /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/home  /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/proc    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys     /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3    swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb    /media/cdrecorder    auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

so I should change / , /boot,  and /home right?
can I just add noatime after the defaults option or do I have to remove
that? I think that the defaults option contains the rw, suid, dev, exec,
auto,  nouser, and async options so would i have to do this for
example?:
LABEL=/home /home ext3  rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime   1 2

Secondly, after installing FC4 (I didn't upgrade) with the cds I got
some boot errors that some mountpoints couldn't be mounted, it also gave
an error about LVM even though I didn't set up any LVM partitions.
Here's the fstab from that. Did anyone else have this problem. My
computer locked up, and I hope it was just because of this and not
something else.
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults
1 2
/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults
0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults
0 0
LABEL=1
QString::arg(   swap                    swap    defaults        0 0