[PlanetCCRMA] another fc3 kernel on the edge (2.6.12-0.9.rdt)

Peter Lutek plutek@infinity.net
Tue Jul 5 04:29:01 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 00:12, Peter Lutek wrote:
>
>>Peter Lutek wrote:
>>
>>>tried it on my FC3 laptop.... boots ok, but qjackctl sends the machine
>>>into a hard lock trying to start jack.
>>>
>>>hmmm......guess i should try starting jack from the command line, eh?
>>>but i'm loathe to be forced to hit that power switch again!
>>
>>ok... with this new kernel and alsa stuff, i tried the following command
>>line to start jack:
>>
>>jackd -v -R -d alsa -C -P -dhw:1 -r44100 -p128 -n2 -D
>>
>>piping the output to a file didn't work because the machine locks up
>>tight as a drum -- can't even get to another login terminal. however, i
>>did observe the following in the jack output:
>>
>>required capabilities not available
>>capabilities: =
>>
>>and then later (after all the i/o channels of my multiface appear to
>>have come up):
>>
>>4935 waiting for signals
>>
>>...and then it just sits there, completely locked up.
>>(the number at the beginning of that line changes each time i try it)
>>
>>if anyone out there has any idea what's going on, please let me know!
>

> Sounds like a kernel bug (lockup).
>
> Not much I can do, but there is yet another edge kernel should you wish
> to try it. In the usual place (planetedge repository) for fc3 and in
> planetcore for fc4, version is 2.6.12-0.12.rdt, "apt-get install
> planetccrma-core-edge" should get it as usual...

thanks, fernando... i'll try that one AFTER the big project i'm working
on now!

however, i'm also getting the "required capabilities not available"
message with my current working kernel (2.6.11-0.3.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma), and
the next line says:
"capabilities: = cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource+e"

qjackctl shows "RT" after jack has started, so i'm assuming realtime
operation is actually ok as user, but i'm wondering about that error
message.

any clues?

thanks!

-p