[PlanetCCRMA] How to build MIDI intercept code?

Charles Fox charles@robots.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 05:14:01 2005

I'd like to build the software equivilent of a MIDI intercept box, which
sits on the MIDI wire, and changes the signals on the wire.

For example:
    1) a black box with a transpose control on it, that transposes the
pitch of the events on the wire
    2) a velocity controller, that alters the vecloity params of note on
and off events to match some external input.

What's the best way to structure this kind of project?  Should I write a
JACK device so I can route my midi wires to and from it?  Is that too much
work?  I am new to linux audio so please be gentle :)

charles

Charles Fox
DPhil student
Pattern Analysis & Machine Learning