[PlanetCCRMA] How to build MIDI intercept code?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 05:41:03 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:13:01 +0100, Charles Fox wrote:

> I'd like to build the software equivilent of a MIDI intercept box, which
> sits on the MIDI wire, and changes the signals on the wire.
>
> For example:
>    1) a black box with a transpose control on it, that transposes the
> pitch of the events on the wire
>    2) a velocity controller, that alters the vecloity params of note on
> and off events to match some external input.
>
> What's the best way to structure this kind of project?  Should I write a
> JACK device so I can route my midi wires to and from it?  Is that too much
> work?  I am new to linux audio so please be gentle :)

MIDI over JACK is still pretty new, and I'm not sure how well supported it
is. Better options might be to write an alsa-sequencer app
(http://www.alsa-project.org/~frank/alsa-sequencer/) or if you like high
level stuff, do it in PD (http://www.puredata.info/). PD was built for
this kind of task.

- Steve