[PlanetCCRMA] Re: How to build MIDI intercept code?

Roger B. Dannenberg rbd@cs.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 8 07:29:01 2005

Alternatively, look at PortMidi (www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/portmusic) for an
easy-to-use, cross-platform API for MIDI. (I agree that PD is a good
high-level way to process MIDI.) I found ALSA very difficult to use and
poorly documented, so I wouldn't recommend it. If you do use ALSA, you might
want to read the PortMidi source code (which sits above and calls ALSA) to
figure out how to use it. I needed a lot of help from ALSA experts to
implement PortMidi on Linux. Now that PortMidi exists, you can use ALSA for
low-level MIDI I/O with a lot less pain. -Roger