[PlanetCCRMA] Adding new apps to the CCRMA repository

Wed Jul 13 11:03:01 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 13:52, chromdildo wrote:
> I'm quite new to the list, but using CCRMA for a while now.
> GREAT JOB guys! Thank you very much for your work, saving me weeks of
> frustration...
> Just a little question (I hope this wasn't asked thousand times before:)
>
> What is the criteria for an app to be added to the CCRMA repository?
>
> I would love to see these two apps at planet-ccrma:
> http://www.nongnu.org/tutka/
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/kmiditracker/
>
> Is there a "feature request" form somewhere? I think some hundred
> music-apps are waiting to be added ...
> Just stable software? Jack related apps?

There are no set guidelines and no formal process to submit new
packages, so this list is fine. I do have a bias for anything jack
related and against oss only apps (with exceptions, of course :-). I try
to satisfy requests by my time is extremely limited so it may take some
time. Both of your suggestions seems to be fine... It also depends on
how easy it is to make things build properly and to package them.

> And one last thing: (this is really a FAQ, isn't it?)
> How about using this wine-vst thing with CCRMA? I red all the howtos
> found by google, but getting it to (useful) work is really hard...
> Any straight (FC4) tutorial how to setup? Any plans adding this can of
> worms to the apt repository?

Well said :-)

Not really, on one hand it _is_ a can of worms as you have found out.
I'm not inclined to end up debugging windows related problems on Linux!
On the other hand I don't think that even if I were crazy enough to do
this I would be able to legally distribute binaries that have used the
vst header files for compilation. The license of the vst header files
would need to be changed for that to be possible (AFAIK, I have not read
the fine print but that's what I gather from previous posts elsewhere on
the subject).

-- Fernando