[PlanetCCRMA] Upon reboot Gnome ceased to be an option

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Thu Jul 14 12:00:02 2005

On 7/13/05, John Thursfield <john.thursfield1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark
> > 2) xscreensaver had no screens. The screensaver would start but then
> > I'd just get a black screen with yellow text at the top telling me of
> > problems. I tried doing an apt-get remove followed by apt-get install
> > of xscreensaver but it wasn't fixed.
> >
> > 3) Finally, after doing step 2 above I logged out and then logged back
> > in just to see if something wasn't set correctly in Gnome. I was then
> > dumped into KDE instead of Gnome. I was given Mozilla where I'm
> > writing this instead of Firefox. When I went back to gdm to log in
> > again, intent on choosing Gnome, I find it's no longer in the session
> > menu.
> Sorry to hear about your problems, my update was only to FC3 and that
> went pretty smoothly.
>
> I occasionally get xscreensavers which have yellow text at the top, some
> of which still seem to work.  I suppose the apt-get remove took away
> more then the apt-get install replaced.  I guess you'll need to discover
> if this the case then re-install the missing component.
>
> To re-add gnome to gdm
>
> 1)create a file in a text editor then add the following to it
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession gnome
>
> 2) save it as gnome in
> /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/
>
> It should then be an option in gdm.  Hope this is some help.
> regards

Hi John,
   Thanks for the response. Unfortuantely it hasn't been easy for me.
WRT your suggestion my machine didn't have a directory called
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions so I created one (as root) and gave it 755
permissions. I saved the file you suggested with the name gnome but
unfortunately this didn't result in any changes in the gdm sign-in
screen.

   Possibly the fact that the directory wasn't there anymore is why I
lost gnome as a login option, and possibly I don't have permissions
correct to allow this to work, but none the less it isn't working.

Thanks much,
Mark