[PlanetCCRMA] Re: PlanetCCRMA digest, Vol 1 #1330 - PART 2

Ron Pepper feffer777@yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 20:52:01 2005

--- Mike Jackson <jackson@scsr.nevada.edu> wrote:

> sorry for replying so fast. It sounds like things are working for
> you. This is a
> problem if you do other things. You mention Audacity says other
> apps are
> using your hardware. I would turn off your sound system from using
> its wav
> files. Like, if you do something, it would sound the "ding" wav
> file.  I would
> turn this off - I do believe its called sound events.
>
> I would also try a linux live (bootup) CD, like dynabolic, that has
> ALSA
> support in it to see how your soundcard works. If it works good,
> then the
> problem is with your CCRMA linux.
>
> sorry but read your mail at 6am and went right to work before
> really waking up.
> I tend to jump in with both feet even if the brain isn't quite
> working.-mj

> some
> >> thanks

> >> times,
> this
> >> mainly
> >> great.
> simple

> getting
> >> it
> other
> >> off
> an
> >> sound
> >> sample
> >> resolve

> >> Go into your preferences and do a sound card test. Then go into
> >> preferences > multimedia
> >> and see what you have for sound (alsa or oss). I know you need
> >> disable the oss modules
> >> to have alsa working properly. In the CCRMA instructions, I do
> >> believe it tells you how to
> >> do this. Perhaps the oss modules are kicking in and alsa is
> >> reporting this error.
> >> -mj

> >Soundcard detection is OK (emu10k1x) and I can play audio-streams
> >(internet radio) from XMMS Ok. Preferences: Multimedia shows ALSA
> as
> >my sound system, however when I try the "test" button, I get
> "Failed
> >to construct test pipeline for 'ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound
> >Architecture'". Is this a problem indicating all is not working
> >properly, or just a misleading message.
> >
> >Ron

> >Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> >http://mail.yahoo.com

Thanks for the reply Mike,

I did turn off my system files and Audacity opens without complaint.
I can import an mp3 file from disk and "record" it, so Audacity
functions, sort of. But I can't play an audio stream from xmms or
other player and get it to record with Audacity or any other Linux
recording device that I've tried. I get an empty .wav file at best. I
don't know whether I'm trying to do something impossible with my
soundcard, or I simply need to configure something differently. I'm
using FC-3, but not the CCRMA version, though I did install the ALSA
module, and it seems to be working properly.