[PlanetCCRMA] Supercollider: local vs internal server

Jonathan Segel jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com
Wed Jul 20 14:10:02 2005

hello,
since my first forays in the world of ccrma, i've been building
supercollider from cvs. for the most part lately i use it with stefan
kersten's SCUM windowing/SCEL emacs interfacing. (although i'm having
some trouble with his new SCUM server stuff, can't get it to work
yet. but that's not my question.
anyway. for quite awhile i have not been able to boot the localhost
server in SC, so i just started many months ago using only the
internal server.  this is now on both desktop fc4 machine and laptop
fc3 machine.
if i try to boot the localhost server, it gives me an error:

example:
s.boot;

the playback device "hw:1" is already in use. Please stop the
application using it and run JACK again
cannot load driver module alsa
creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
32bit
control device hw:1
could not initialize audio.
RESULT = 256
ERROR:
server failed to start

this of course with jack booted and using qjackctl. if i change it
s= Server. internal
s.boot.

it works.

stefan said, sounds like different (lib)jack versions in use.
i don't understand what he means by this...?

Jonathan Segel                 4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite@yahoo.com