[PlanetCCRMA] Supercollider: local vs internal server

Wed Jul 20 14:40:01 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 14:09, Jonathan Segel wrote:
> hello,
> since my first forays in the world of ccrma, i've been building
> supercollider from cvs. for the most part lately i use it with stefan
> kersten's SCUM windowing/SCEL emacs interfacing. (although i'm having
> some trouble with his new SCUM server stuff, can't get it to work
> yet. but that's not my question.
> anyway. for quite awhile i have not been able to boot the localhost
> server in SC, so i just started many months ago using only the
> internal server.  this is now on both desktop fc4 machine and laptop
> fc3 machine.
> if i try to boot the localhost server, it gives me an error:
>
> example:
> s.boot;
>
> the playback device "hw:1" is already in use. Please stop the
> application using it and run JACK again
> cannot load driver module alsa
> creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
> 32bit
> control device hw:1
> could not initialize audio.
> RESULT = 256
> ERROR:
> server failed to start
>

> this of course with jack booted and using qjackctl. if i change it
> s= Server. internal
> s.boot.
>
> it works.
>
> stefan said, sounds like different (lib)jack versions in use.
> i don't understand what he means by this...?

Maybe the supercollider you build finds a libjack library in, say,
/usr/local/lib (because at some point in the past you installed jack
manually) and the jackd server is linked with a different one (in
/usr/lib). Check if you have more than one libjack installed in your
filesystem.

-- Fernando