[PlanetCCRMA] Newbie question re: ALSA

Joe Hartley jh@brainiac.com
Sat Jul 23 05:42:01 2005

> Bill Bain wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply.  Moving to Linux from WIndows
> > hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be.
> >
> > Well, I Googled "Centos and Alsa" and found a site
> > that listed RPMs for Centos.

Does the Planet even support a Centos distribution?

I found the easiest way to get into audio on Linux is not to try to
shoehorn the audio stuff into an existing setup, but to go with a
distribution that's built for audio from the ground up, like, oh, say,
Planet CCRMA.

It's based on Fedora rather than Centos, but is already tweaked for
your enjoyment.  It also has extensive docs on how to get it all
going.

Otherwise you spend all your time rebuilding kernels, hunting down
dependencies, and basically struggling to fit a Ferrari engine in
a BMW.