[PlanetCCRMA] Jamin causing kwin SIGSEGV on open/save

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jul 23 11:44:01 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 04:23:22 -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 20:38, ejbjr wrote:
> > I'm running an FC1+Planet CCRMA machine, 'fully loaded', and completely
> > up to date (according to synaptic).
> > Sometime recently Jamin started misbehaving.  There are a number of
> > issues here, but the first and most serious is that jamin can no longer
> > load or save configuration files.  When I click on file -> (open, save,
> > or save as), I loose all window title bars, and get a message box which
> > says kwin recieved a SIGSEGV.
> >
> > jamin:        0.95.0-1.rhfc1.ccrma
> > qjackctl:    0.2.15-2.rhfc1.ccrma
> > jack-audio-connection-kit:        0.99.0-2.rhfc1.ccrma
> > kdebase:    6:3.1.4-7
> > kernel:        2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma
> >
> > I'm not sure where to begin on debugging this.  Has anyone else had a
> > similar problem?  Searching for jamin & kwin in the ccrma and laug lists
> > hasn't turned up anything.  The Jamin list has some messages about jamin
> > crashing KDE, but (1) shows no resolution and (2) is about the jackd
> > watchdog sending a SIGKILL to the process group, not kwin suffering a
> > SIGSEGV.
>
>     I have the same problem.  I'm running the same apps as you are.
> This is strictly a JAMin/KDE problem though.  It doesn't happen under
> any other WM that I know of.  You can actually run jamin -d with nothing
> else going on and cause it to happen.  I have no idea how to debug the
> problem.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

IIUC, the only connection between them is via the X server. You could
maybe connect an strace process to the X server to see what its sending to
the WM, but it will be hard to spot whats causing the problem I think.

I guess youve allready tried getting a core dump from the WM?

I wonder what jamin could be doing that so unusual?

- Steve