[PlanetCCRMA] Jamin causing kwin SIGSEGV on open/save

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Sat Jul 23 12:28:01 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 13:42, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 04:23:22 -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 20:38, ejbjr wrote:
> > > I'm running an FC1+Planet CCRMA machine, 'fully loaded', and completely
> > > up to date (according to synaptic).
> > > Sometime recently Jamin started misbehaving.  There are a number of
> > > issues here, but the first and most serious is that jamin can no longer
> > > load or save configuration files.  When I click on file -> (open, save,
> > > or save as), I loose all window title bars, and get a message box which
> > > says kwin recieved a SIGSEGV.
> > >
> > > jamin:        0.95.0-1.rhfc1.ccrma
> > > qjackctl:    0.2.15-2.rhfc1.ccrma
> > > jack-audio-connection-kit:        0.99.0-2.rhfc1.ccrma
> > > kdebase:    6:3.1.4-7
> > > kernel:        2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma
> > >
> > > I'm not sure where to begin on debugging this.  Has anyone else had a
> > > similar problem?  Searching for jamin & kwin in the ccrma and laug lists
> > > hasn't turned up anything.  The Jamin list has some messages about jamin
> > > crashing KDE, but (1) shows no resolution and (2) is about the jackd
> > > watchdog sending a SIGKILL to the process group, not kwin suffering a
> > > SIGSEGV.
> >
> >     I have the same problem.  I'm running the same apps as you are.
> > This is strictly a JAMin/KDE problem though.  It doesn't happen under
> > any other WM that I know of.  You can actually run jamin -d with nothing
> > else going on and cause it to happen.  I have no idea how to debug the
> > problem.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
>
> IIUC, the only connection between them is via the X server. You could
> maybe connect an strace process to the X server to see what its sending to
> the WM, but it will be hard to spot whats causing the problem I think.
>
> I guess youve allready tried getting a core dump from the WM?

   The error message contains a backtrace.  It says the error comes from
libpthread.so.  The error occurs when we do

gtk_widget_show ((GtkWidget *) file_selector);

in callbacks.c (on_open1_activate)

--
Jan "Evil Twin" Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this
we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744