[PlanetCCRMA] qjackctl and ardour problems

Wed Jun 15 17:46:01 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 12:26, Mike Jewell wrote:
> Fedora Core 3
> Planet CCRMA kernel, etc.
>
> Hi,
>
> I just started trying to use qjackctl to control jack and manage the
> connections.
>
> When I start qjackctl,  I get:
>     Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_en_US.UTF-8.qm
>
> And then in the Messages window:
>     Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. MIDI patchbay will be not
> available.
>     ALSA lib seq_hw.c:451:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
> such file or directory
>

> And when I start Ardour:
>     ardour: [ERROR]: MIDI: no such port device
>     ardour: [ERROR]: MIDI: no such port device
>     ALSA lib seq_hw.c:451:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
> such file or directory
>     ardour: [WARNING]: No MMC control (MIDI port "seq" not available)
>
> And Ardour does not show up in the qjackctl "connections" window.
>
> Are these error messages related and is the lack of the "ALSA sequencer"
> (What is that anyway?) keeping Ardour from connecting with jack?
>
> I'm not using MIDI so do I need the sequencer anyway?

The "ALSA sequencer" is the sequencer (ie: high level) interface to MIDI
interfaces, either real external ports or ports offered by software
packages.

On FC3 that particular kernel module is not autoloaded, the workaround
is to enable the alsasound startup script:
  /sbin/chkconfig alsasound on

A reboot should load the ALSA sequencer kernel module and qjackctl
should not complain anymore.

-- Fernando