[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA and RAID: which way to go?

Wed Jun 22 11:13:04 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 04:32, Henk Jansen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 11:45, Steve Harris wrote:
> > Digging around in the recesses of my memory, that might be because you
> > need an initrd (a thing that can load certain drivers that are needed
> > before kenel boot finises. Look on the web for instruction about how to
> > build one, you will nee the raid and md drivers in your initrd if there
> > not already.
>
> The planetccrma distribution comes with precompiled initrd-*'s and
> vmlinuz-*.

Hmmm, you should not need to "recompile" them. The initrd image used
during boot is built at kernel install time using the information about
peripherials that is part of /etc/modprobe.conf. So, it could be that at
the time of the install the disk controller was not online and then its
driver did not get added to the initrd image. You could rebuild the
image by using mkinitrd ("man mkinitrd" for details).

What is the raid device hanging from? Are the disks themselves and their
controller recognized during the boot process? I take it that raid is
recognized by the original Fedora kernel, right?

-- Fernando