[PlanetCCRMA] New dual-boot DAW, what configuration with SATA, IDE?

Brian Jarrett bjarrett@garcoschools.org
Mon May 2 20:10:01 2005

Hello all,

I've built a new PC that I'll be using exclusively for a DAW, but it
does need to be dual-boot, because I use Ableton Live for live
performances, and I want to use Ardour for multitracking and
RoseGarden/LilyPond for composing.

My system as of now:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra 939
AMD64 (Winchester) 3000+
1GB dual-channel RAM (2x512Mb)
Seagate 80Gb SATA
Samsung 40GB ATA100
M-Audio Delta 66

My question is regarding partitioning/setup of the OS on the hard drives
I have.  Originally I was thinking about using the SATA drive as my data
drive for both Windows and Linux (one big FAT32 partition?) so I could
record in Linux and then pull up my recordings in Windows, etc.  What
would the best setup be?

I know with IDE drives it's always been recommended to have audio data
streaming to a drive other than your system drive, preferably on it's
own IDE channel.  Is that still necessary?  I'm also having issues
getting FC3 and Windows to play nicely when both installed on the IDE
drive.

Is it even necessary to keep the system and data on separate drives any
more?  I could throw another $100 - $150 into the system to get another
drive, although I still need to get a burner.  Would it be better to get
another SATA drive?

And does setting up LVM help/hinder the data read/write at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian