[PlanetCCRMA] compatibility question

Tue May 3 11:20:03 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 20:00, pirrone wrote:
> One last question in the vein of my previous posting:  Is anyone using
> FC3 apps from the Planet with Fedora Core 4 Test 2?  My new computer
> arrived and I'm about to begin configuring it for Linux and want to make
> the best choice based on several considerations - one of which is CCRMA
> useage.
>
> I would expect backward compatibility to be a real problem, and would
> not try to use FC3 apps on FC2 or FC1, but am not sure what to expect
> with forward compatibility using FC3 apps on FC4.  I don't think much
> would have changed in audio support and don't think the compiler and
> library updates are automatic show-stoppers.  What say?

Well, you can try them. Whether things will be able to even be installed
depends on potential conflicts in library versions (ie: a library in
fc4tx has a different version than the one in fc3 so that it is not
backwards compatible).

Any reason you want to install fc4tx instead of just fc3?
-- Fernando