[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [Alsa-user] Audio interface compatibility

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Tue May 3 13:12:02 2005

On 03 May 2005 11:30:27 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 09:00, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > No - that means it's on the list. My card wason the list for a year at
> > least before it worked well enough for me to use every day.
> >
> > that said you need to check out the FreeBob project. This is the only
> > program I know of for supporting Firewire devices under Alsa. Check
> > out their compatibility before you do anythign requiring money.
>
> I saw a demo of their linux drivers in the LAC2005 conference and it was
> working... but not completely. They did play soundfiles from a pc to a
> freebob compatible interface (and they were showing several of them at
> the conference). Anyway, if I understood correctly they are about 2 - 3
> months away from releasing a truly working version of the drivers. Very
> good news, I think.
>
> -- Fernando

Yeah, I hear on the FreeBob list that it's getting better. I think
audio at 44K & 48K is in pretty good shape actually. There are still a
great number of things to work on before it becomes really useful:

1) MIDI - there's a hack that allows some MIDI now. That's cool.
2) There is no configuration app like hdspconf for the HDSP line so
you cannot change clock sources or anything like that.
3) No hardware monitoring. (Does this work for anyone? I'm not sure...)

None the less it's a good accomplishment ot get this far. They are
nicely tied in with the right 1394 developers so that's pretty cool.
I'm excited to look at this again in a few months.

- Mark