[PlanetCCRMA] Where to start JACK?

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Sat May 14 06:08:03 2005

On 5/14/05, Charles Fox <charles@robots.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi guys, sorry this is a really basic question but I'm having trouble
> finding the answer.
>
> I want JACK to start automatically when I turn on my machine and log in.
> Where is the best place to put the
>    jack -d alsa -d hw:0
> command?   I tried putting it in my .bashrc file but then it tries to
> start JACK every time I open an xterm, which is not what I want.
> How do you guys do it?

I  don't. I start it using qjackctl when I first log in and then let
it run all day. Starting it the way you are thinking about will not
easily allow you access to any messages Jack might generate. Also you
will almost certainly run into som sound requirement that doesn't work
with Jack so once in awhile you'll need to sop it for some special
reason. I do not recommend starting Jack automatically.

> I'm also not sure what would happen if different
> peopel with accounts on my machine logged in remotely, I don't want their
> actions to interfere with JACK on my local machine.

Multiple users on the same system will not cause problems for you
using Jack. People can ssh into the machine anytime. If you are
running Jack then you retain complete control of the sound hardware.

Hope this helps,
Mark