[PlanetCCRMA] Where to start JACK?

Kevin Street kwsml@rogers.com
Mon May 16 10:57:00 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 13:04 +0100, Charles Fox wrote:

> I want JACK to start automatically when I turn on my machine and log in.
> Where is the best place to put the
>    jack -d alsa -d hw:0
> command?

One place to put this is in a script which is called when your user
session starts.  For Gnome in FC3, you can set one in:
Applications->Preferences->More Preferences->Sessions
then click the Startup Programs tab and add the name of a script to be
run at startup.  I've added ~/bin/gnome-startup here.  There would be
something similar for KDE or other managers.

My ~/bin/gnome-startup has (amongst other things that I want started):

panelproc=notification-area-applet

# wait for the gnome panel
panelup=`ps -C $panelproc h`
while [ -z "$panelup" ]; do
    sleep 1
    panelup=`ps -C $panelproc h`
done

if [ -x /usr/bin/qjackctl ]; then
    qjackctl &
fi

This waits for the Gnome panel to start, so qjackctl has some place to
put its panel icon, then starts qjackctl.  I turn off the automatic
session saving in Gnome and put everything I want started in my script,
but that's just me.  I agree with Mark that you should use qjackctl
rather than starting jackd directly.