[PlanetCCRMA] LiveCD PlanetCCRMA. Someone working on that?

Luis Garrido garrido_luis@hotmail.com
Tue May 24 19:24:17 2005

I don't like Fedora specially, but the fact that Fernando is actively
providing updated kernels and apps makes of the planet the best audio
distro.

More and more I feel the need of a LiveCD to be able to work at different
locations. I have been googling around a bit.

What I think would be desirable is a tool that allowed to build a customized
LiveCD, to keep up with the improvements on the kernel and the apps, so
everyone could choose her own set of apps.

Some useful links:

- Fedora live distros:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Live+CD&origin=All&basedon=Fedora&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active

- LiveCD building packages:

http://livecd.berlios.de/
http://ibuild.livecd.net/

Some questions:

- Do liveCD builders work in Fedora?
- Can the Planet kernel be ported to distros that are known to have livecd
builders (Debian, Mandrake)? (most likely a rpm based one, Mandrake thus,
but I have heard that Mandrake packages are not compatible with FC ones).
- Should the Planet kernel be tweaked somehow (by including support of
features needed for livecd's, like squashfs or the like)? Should this be
done at the CCRMA repo or at an alternative one?
- Does make any sense the idea of an audio livecd distro? Are there any
potential pitfalls that make it unpractical (e.g., memory, CPU or CD space
requirements...)?

Before going deeper in the subject myself, I thought I'd just open some
discussion about it in the list. Perhaps there is already someone involved
in such a project that I could join, or someone found some big cons to the
idea.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Luis