[PlanetCCRMA] Question about Apt

Wed May 25 12:33:05 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 11:05, Michael Jackson wrote:
> Is there any way to have Apt search for updates from a second hard
> drive? The update
> is hugh and I don't have a DVD burner.

You mean the huge fc2/3 updates iso images? Yes, it is possible. You can
copy the contents to a directory and point apt to it. You can mount the
image as a loopback device, something like:
  mount -o loop NAME_OF_IMAGE_FILE /mnt/cdrom
(or some other mount point)
Then you could copy the contents to a hard disk[*] and use a file:// url
instead of an http:// url to point to the file (in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/)

See this for what Tracey did in this case:
http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2005-May/009252.html

-- Fernando

[*] it should be possible to even use the mount point without copying
the stuff but I think apt will try to mount/umount it and will get it
wrong. I'm sure there are options to avoid that (in apt) but don't
remember them...