[PlanetCCRMA] synaptics touchpad

Patricio de la Cuadra pdelac@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon May 30 12:07:00 2005

Hi Nando,
The last update I did from kernel 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrma  to
2.6.11-0.3.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma worked pretty good except for the mouse
touchpad that behaves different and the tapping features stopped working
completely. It seems to be a common problem for several notebooks:
http://www.deadman.org/X/article/33

Linus suggests a workaround that didn't work in my computer
(http://kerneltrap.org/node/1587).
Fortunately there is a driver that seems to work fine with kernels 2.6.x
(http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/) but it requires some
specific configurations in the kernel:
"For use with kernel 2.6.x you need to enable synaptics touchpad support
when configuring the kernel (CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2). You also need support
for the evdev interface (CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV). If you compile evdev as a
module, make sure it is loaded before starting the X server, as it will
not be auto-loaded."

Are these settings already included in your kernels? if not, I'll try to
compile my own kernel but I would suggest to include them in future
kernels since synaptics touchpads seem to be getting very popular.
Thanks!
--Pato
PS:  any hope to have cinelerra for fc3 soon? ;)