[PlanetCCRMA] "system" audio troubles

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:30:01 2005

On 11/2/05, Peter Lutek <plutek@infinity.net> wrote:
<SNIP>
> thanks, mark!
> ok, i appear to have the multiface functioning as the default card now.
>
> my (very simple!) .asoundrc is:
>
>  pcm.hdsp {
>     type hw
>     card 1
> }
> ctl.hdsp {
>     type hw
>     card 1
> }
> pcm.!default {
>     type plug
>     slave.pcm hdsp
> }
>
> and "aplay sound-sample.wav" works without having to designate the plug
> method on the comand line.
>
> unfortunately, i still have no sound from firefox (checking various
> flash sites, and video.google.com - the flash and video plays fine, but
> with no audio). any suggestions of where to go from here?
>
> -p

Peter,
   Can you refresh me with your setup info?

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /etc/modprobe.conf
lspci

I've never run into problems with Firefox not producing audio. One
problem I have seen is issues around the sound chip not being willing
to change sample rates and hence audio not playing. (For instance, the
web audio is 32KHz and the sound chip is locked to 48KHz.

On paper they tell me you can get around this with the plughw
construst, which you seem to be using, but possibly you need an entry
inyour .asoundrc file for the first card, or possibly somethign
special in the way you load the modules.

Anyway, pass backa  little more info and maybe Fernando or someone
else here will have a better answer.

Good luck,
Mark