[PlanetCCRMA] ALSA/Soundcard problems

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 12:56:00 2005

On 11/6/05, Tim Boulette <tboulet1@maine.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a complete newbie to Linux and PlanetCCRMA, so I'm hoping you all can
> bear with me if this is a simple question and I'm just missing it.  I'll
> gladly accept all the help I can get.
>
> I've installed Fedora Core 3 (in fact, I've pretty much followed the
> installation instructions from the Planet CCRMA website (http://ccrma
> stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installtwosix.html) verbatim.
>
> My soundcard is a M-Audio Delta 66.  (Also have a VIA AC'97 on the mainboard
>  which I don't really use.)  The Delta 66 is working fine in WinXP.  During
> FC3 installation, setup seems to identify the card, but when I test it I get
> no sound.
>
> I've proceeded with installation anyway, hoping to fix the problem later,
> but have been unsuccessful so far.  I've tried updating all FC3 components;
> manually installing ALSA; and I've even tried alsaconf to manually set the
> Delta 66 as my card -- all to no avail.
>
> Can anybody give me some ideas about how to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Folks would like to see your /etc/modprobe.conf file I'm sure. Also
the output of lsmod, and possibly the output of

cat /proc/asound/cards

One thing some new folks miss is unmuting the card. Have you ran
alsamixer and made sure that the card has volume up on the master and
PCM cannels? (I'm assuming alsamixer works on that card...)

- Mark