[PlanetCCRMA] ALSA/Soundcard problems

Tim Boulette tboulet1@maine.rr.com
Sun Nov 6 17:42:01 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On 11/6/05, Tim Boulette <tboulet1@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm a complete newbie to Linux and PlanetCCRMA, so I'm hoping you all can
>>bear with me if this is a simple question and I'm just missing it.  I'll
>>gladly accept all the help I can get.
>>
>>I've installed Fedora Core 3 (in fact, I've pretty much followed the
>>installation instructions from the Planet CCRMA website (http://ccrma
>>stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installtwosix.html) verbatim.
>>
>>My soundcard is a M-Audio Delta 66.  (Also have a VIA AC'97 on the mainboard
>> which I don't really use.)  The Delta 66 is working fine in WinXP.  During
>>FC3 installation, setup seems to identify the card, but when I test it I get
>>no sound.
>>
>>I've proceeded with installation anyway, hoping to fix the problem later,
>>but have been unsuccessful so far.  I've tried updating all FC3 components;
>>manually installing ALSA; and I've even tried alsaconf to manually set the
>>Delta 66 as my card -- all to no avail.
>>
>>Can anybody give me some ideas about how to solve this problem?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Tim
>>

>Folks would like to see your /etc/modprobe.conf file I'm sure. Also
>the output of lsmod, and possibly the output of
>
>cat /proc/asound/cards
>
>One thing some new folks miss is unmuting the card. Have you ran
>alsamixer and made sure that the card has volume up on the master and
>PCM cannels? (I'm assuming alsamixer works on that card...)
>
>- Mark

Thanks to all who have written.  There's some overlapping ideas, so I
copy you all on this response.

Here's my modprobe.conf file:

alias eth0 8139too
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-ice1712 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ice1712
alias snd-card-1 snd-via82xx
options snd-card-1 index=1
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd

Here's the output of cat /proc/asound/cards:

0 [M66            ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 66
                     M Audio Delta 66 at 0xb000, irq 12
1 [rev50          ]: VIA686A - VIA 82C686A/B rev50
                     VIA 82C686A/B rev50 at 0xa000, irq 12

Hmm.  Interesting that the IRQ's are the same--again, they work in
Windows XP.  I've made sure the card isn't muted (in fact, in
frustration I'd turned every slider up full).  Peter, I'm NOT (yet)
using envy24control.  That may be the answer, but (I'm embarassed to
say) I can't figure out how to install it.  I used to know a little
unix, but that was 16 years ago!

Thanks,
Tim